Tomaszyn is a small village located in Warmia and Mazury. It consists of ten households and a cooperative. The region is classified as the Green Lungs of Poland and has the lowest population density in the country. The population shrunk to four farms and several vacationers reaching the lowest point in 2017. A year later, the Cooperative Ostoja Natury was set up, intended as the ‘agricultural ecosystem of tomorrow’. This organic farm is a closed circuit in which waste is fuel, it produces energy, enables year-round food production, and works more efficiently, ensuring higher yields.
Smart agriculture in Tomaszyn
Find out how regenerative agriculture and smart ecological production methods are implemented in the Ostoja Natury cooperative in Tomaszyn – Piotr Ostaszewski, Chief Executive Officer of the cooperative, tells participants of the Smart Rural 21 project’s Communities Café in July 2021.
Tomaszyn: on the path of sustainability
Ostoja Natury launches construction of an eco-friendly storage space for vegetables, intended to be built from hemp and lime bricks, recently shipped from Belgium. The Cooperative plans on using other natural materials to isolate the 120 m2 storage space.
Tomaszyn hosts first Smart Rural 21 regional workshop
Complementing the Tomaszyn BioTech conference of 12 September, a virtual visit of the village (13 September) and a panel discussion on support for smart villages (14 September) will form the first regional workshop of the Smart Rural 21 project.
Tomaszyn BioTech conference
The second edition of the international BioTech conference will take place virtually in Tomaszyn on 12 September and address a wide range of topics, such as the future of farming, the EU Green Deal, 21st century agriculture, organic farming, Smart Rural 21 villages.
Smart Rural Communities Cafés are organised for selected and Come Along! Smart Rural 21 villages. Each café is hosted by the representative(s) of a local community who talk about the community’s approach to ‘smart villages’, community engagement, inspiring initiatives and much more… During the Smart Cafés village representatives can discuss informally ideas, approaches and questions ... Read more
Smart Village Academy
Two Smart Rural Academy online events were organised within the framework of the Smart Rural 21 project, with the participation of over 100 village representatives (from the 21 participant and Come Along! villages), Smart Rural 21 core team members and national experts. The main purpose of the meetings was to inspire participants through presenting and ... Read more
The Smart Rural project is a two and a half-year project supported by the European Commission (DG AGRI) with the overall aim to promote and inspire villages to develop and implement smart village approaches and strategies across Europe, and to draw conclusions and support future policy interventions on smart villages.
- Dec 2019 - Smart Rural 21 project started.
- Jan 2020 - Strategy development started with five preselected villages.
- Jan – Jun 2020 - Application to become one of the additional 16 villages.
- Jun 2020 - 16 additional villages selected & started strategy developement.
- 27 Oct 2020 - 1st Smart Village Academy
- Dec 2020 - All selected villages complete their smart strategies
- Feb 2021 - Smart action planning starts in all 21 villages
- 23-24 Feb 2021 - 2nd Smart Village Academy
- Jul 2021 - Selection of 2 villages to complete strategic actions in full
- Sept 2021 - 2nd Regional Workshop
- Jun 2021 - 1st Regional Workshop (Northern Region)
- Dec 2021 - Strategic action support completed in 21 villages
- Apr 2022 - Final Conference
- Jun 2022 - Smart Rural 21 project ends